Every creative person faces times when creative juices are low and there’s need for a refill. As writers face writer’s block, designers also face designer’s block (yes, there’s such a thing!), at this point, no new idea comes to mind and no matter how long or hard you try to come up with something fresh and innovative you run into a brick wall. Don’t worry, sometimes all you need at this point is a little push in the form of an inspiration to help you on your way.
Getting Inspiration As A Creative
Inspiration, as many creatives know, can be gotten from the most unexpected of places or from somewhere right in front of you, Pinterest is that somewhere.
Pinterest, as its CEO, Ben Silbermann, described it, is a “catalogue of ideas that inspires users to go out and do that thing” as opposed to being a social network. It contains a variety of images and videos that have been uploaded or linked from a website to help anyone thay needs inspiration or ideas.
How does it work?
For any user to be able to use Pinterest, he/she must first register, and guess what? Registration is FREE! Pinterest is quite easy to understand and use, it has a very user friendly interface which contains features that makes it easy for users to navigate through and find what they’re looking for. Some of these features include:
1. Pins: Pins are basically pictorials, videos, images etc that have been uploaded by other users and are typically linked from a website.
2. Boards: Just like in real life where ideas on paper are pinned to a board, boards are a collection of pins that you, a user, has put together. They’re usually dedicated to a particular theme such as shoes, dresses, jewelry, Ankara craft, patterns, etc. Don’t worry, you can have as many boards on as many themes as you want!
3. Search: This, as the name implies, is where you can a search for anything you want, it also suggests keywords as you type. This really helps narrow down your search.
4. Home: The feed you get on your home is a collection of your interest (which you specify when opening in your account), pins from users, topics and boards you follow.
5. Follow: With follow, a user can follow other users and boards of interest, this helps streamline the content on your home feed.
Pinterest for getting inspiration and learning new things
As a creative, sometimes all you really need to create that wow effect is to see what others have done before to get you going with great new ideas.
Whether you’re looking for design inspiration for clothes, shoes, beads, bags or any other category, or you’re looking to learn new things, Pinterest has got your back! All you need to do is type into the search box what you’re looking for and a variety of content surfaces.
Pinterest is an amazing place to get inspiration and learn new things.
You should definitely read our article on how to channel your inspiration.