One of the best ways people can find your fashion brand on social media is by using the search function. If your brand shows up in relevant searches made by your target audience, you become more discoverable by them. And so, Search is one of the best ways to get noticed and increase the visibility of your fashion brands.
Recently, Instagram published the second piece in its new ‘How Instagram Works’ series. It outlines how its search algorithm works and how you can increase your chances of showing up in relevant search results. Come with us as we dive into the key elements you need to make your fashion brand more easily discoverable on Instagram.
How Search Works
Search was built to help you find accounts or people you are interested in. It uses whatever you input into the search bar to help you find what you are looking for. This way, it highlights the most relevant content to you using the exact words you typed in.
When giving you relevant matches for a query, Instagram factors in 3 key elements. In order of importance, they are;
- Your text in Search. Instagram matches your search query with relevant usernames, bios, captions, hashtags and places.
- Your activity. In addition to the query you enter, Instagram watches your activity and shows you content you’ve shown interest in first. This means that accounts and hashtags you follow will rank higher in your search results than others.
- Information about the search results. Lastly, Instagram also ranks your search results based on their popularity. Factors like the number of clicks, likes, shares and follows for a particular account, hashtag or place influence how popular it is.
Instagram plans to improve how Search world in future why showing you photos and videos related to your search word.
“We’re making search results better for exploration. For example, a search for “space” will show you space-related photos and videos, too. This is especially helpful when you don’t have an exact username or hashtag in mind when searching for a certain topic.”
How Instagram Helps You Show In Search
Your fashion brand must show up when your customers or potential customers are looking for you. As a fashion entrepreneur, to make it easier for your brand to be found, here are a few best practices you must follow;
- Use a fitting handle and profile name. As a fashion entrepreneur, you must use an Instagram handle or profile name that relates to your business. Don’t just throw in any random name as your IG handle or profile name, but make sure it matches your brand. Also, if your customers know your brand by a certain name, include that name in your username or handle so that you can show up when they search for you.
- Include relevant keywords and locations in your bio. It is also equally important to make sure your bio includes keywords about who you are and what your profile is about. Don’t leave that bio empty or random phrases in there. You need to be intentional with making sure whatever is in your bio speaks to your fashion brand. Also, sharing your business’ location in your bio can make it easier for people in your area to find you.
- Use relevant keywords and hashtags in captions. Keywords and hashtags are two very important elements of Instagram. As a fashion entrepreneur, if you want your post to be found in Search, you must put keywords and hashtags in your captions. Do not place them in the comments. Another mistake to not make is to leave out relevant keywords or hashtags from your posts. Put as many keywords and hashtags as are directly related to your fashion brand as possible in your posts. Never leave them out.
What Lowers Your Chances of Showing up in Search
Just as there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of ranking high in Search, there are also things you can do to lower your chances. Instagram notes that any account or post that goes against its Recommendations Guidelines will rank lower in Search. For fashion entrepreneurs, this means that you have to be intentional with what you post. From reviewing these guidelines, here are some contents you should be wary of posting as a fashion entrepreneur;
- Content that may be sexually explicit or suggestive, such as pictures of people in see-through clothing.
- Content that promotes a contest or giveaway.
- Unoriginal content that is largely repurposed from another source without adding material value.
- Content that promotes or depicts cosmetic procedures.
- Content containing exaggerated health claims, such as “miracle cures.”
Also, accounts that repeatedly engage in misleading practices to build followings, such as purchasing ‘likes’, appear lower in Search.
While building your brand on social media can be hard work, these guidelines provide good insight to make it easier for you. Remember, maximising your discovery opportunity in Search can help you gain new customers and make some sales.